Monday 4 July 2011

Trying to find Napoleon's Hat..



There's a great asterism in Bootes called Napolean's hat.

I well see why it was given such a name.

I decided to try and locate it....

After a couple of failed attempts, I finally thought why not drop Arcturus  to the bottom of my field of vie.


Maybe then Napolean's hat would be easier to see without the distraction of  beautiful bright Arcturus.

It worked....

Up towards the 11 o clock position in my field of view, Napolean's Hat jumped out at me.

I don't know why I haven't noticed this asterism before, but now every time I turn my telescope towards Arcturus there it is.

Another friend to put on the observing list ....  :0)

The French Scorpion.

Last night we camped in the village of Sereilhac, some maybe 20 miles south west of Limoges. The temperature all day hovered around 30°C !  ...